What does this privacy notice cover?
This privacy notice provides information regarding the processing of your personal data when visiting the website of the Shell Foundation or interacting with the Shell Foundation (“Shell Foundation” or “we”) whether as:
- a grantee, beneficiary or a candidate for a grantee or beneficiary of a programme, grant or project operated by the Shell Foundation or in which Shell Foundation participates;
- an interested or supporting partner for the activities of the Shell Foundation;
- a recipient for our newsletter;
- a visitor to a Shell Foundation website (“Website” or “Shell Foundation Website”); and/or
- a user of the Shell Application or other Shell applications (“Shell Apps”).
This privacy notice explains what personal data is processed, for which purposes, how long we hold the personal data for, how to access and update your personal data, the options you have regarding your personal data and where to go for further information.
Special Notice – if you are under 16 years old. Processing children’s’ personal data
Shell Foundation does not intentionally collect personal data of those under 16 years’ old. If you are under 16 years’ old please do not send us your personal data (for example, your name, address and email address). If you are under 16 years’ old and you wish to ask a question about the Shell Foundation activities please get your parent or guardian to do so on your behalf.
Who is responsible for any personal data collected?
Your personal data is controlled ultimately by Shell Foundation, a registered charity no. 1080999 whose registered office is at Shell Centre, London, SE1 7NA, United Kingdom.
What personal data do we process? Collection of information
We collect information, including personal data about you as a grantee/beneficiary, partner and/or visitor to the Shell Foundation website. This information may be either:
- Information that you provide to us – when applying for a grant or project or taking part in our programmes, we will ask for your contact details such as your name, e-mail address, telephone number and other business contact details necessary to assess the applications such as your role or position, your business achievements, your business status and your eligibility for the Grant.
- Information that is necessary for travel arrangements, such as visa requirements;
- Your e-mail address, your position and the name of your organisation – if you subscribe to our newsletter or when you are invited to attend and event organised or co-organised by the Shell Foundation.
- If you are eligible for a grant/supported project, we may ask you to provide further personal data necessary for the performance of the Anti-Bribery and Corruption/Anti-Money laundering and Trade Controls screening, like affiliation with governmental agencies or bodies as well as other information necessary for the performance of the grant agreement, such as the banking details.
- Information that we obtain through your use of the grants/projects run by the Shell Foundation – such as information about your role in the project, the performance of the Funding Agreement;
- Information provided to us by other entities that are partners in the projects supported by the Shell Foundation that may relate to your role and participation in such projects run by the third party.
- Upon your consent, your photographs or video footage related to the performance of the Grant Agreement or other events and projects organised by the Shell Foundation.
Why do we process your personal data?
We must have a legal reason to use your personal information. This will usually be one of the
- to meet our legal obligations (including any contractual obligations and performance of the Grant Agreements), which includes making sure that the Grant Agreement is performed correctly and to meet our reporting obligations as a registered charity;
- to fulfil our legitimate interests in administering the grants and the Shell Foundation correctly and effectively, in particular for fraud detection and prevention, improvement of the Shell Foundation projects;
- because using the information is necessary in relation to a legal claim.
There may be circumstances where we need your consent to process your data. If we do, we will ask you for it. In those cases where processing is based on consent, and subject to applicable local law which provides otherwise, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the validity of the processing prior to the withdrawal of consent.
Consequences for not providing your data
Where you choose not to provide us with information set out above for the purposes related to the performance of assessment with regard to our grants or with regard to the performance of our Grant Agreements, this may prevent your ability to be eligible for a role in the project subject to the Grant Agreement.
Where you choose not to provide us with your data in the context of the Shell Foundation newsletter, the only consequence is that it will affect your ability to receive our newsletter.
Purposes of the collection of your data
We process personal data covered by this Privacy Notice for the following purposes:
- Performance of our statutory activities – including researching, developing and improving our projects and grants; concluding and executing agreements with our grantees and partners; managing relationships with grantees and partners, promoting the Shell Foundation projects and activities.
- Operation of our website – including responding to queries and requests for information.
- Organisation and management of the Shell Foundation including financial management, implementation of controls, reporting to Trustees, analysis, internal audits and investigations.
- Health, safety and security including protection of an individual’s life or health, occupational health and safety, protection of Shell Foundation and staff, authentication of individual status and access rights; or
- Legal and/or regulatory compliance including compliance with legal or regulatory, requirements applicable to registered charities including litigation and defence of claims.
- (or for a secondary purpose where it is closely related, for example such as storing or deleting it).
Who will we share the personal data with?
The personal data covered by this Privacy Notice is exclusively processed for the purposes referred to above and will only be shared on a strict need to know basis with:
- Authorised third party agents, service providers and/or subcontractors of the Shell Foundation;
- Companies within the Shell group of companies if such access is necessary to provide the Shell Foundation with IT infrastructure and tools;
- Competent public authorities, government, regulatory or fiscal agencies where it is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which the Shell Foundation is subject to or as permitted by applicable local law.
Transfers of personal data
Where the personal data has been transferred to companies within the Shell Group and/or to authorised third parties located outside of your country (including outside of the European Economic Area) we take organisational, contractual and legal measures to ensure that your personal data is exclusively processed for the purposes mentioned above and that adequate levels of protection have been implemented in order to safeguard your personal data.
These measures include Binding Corporate Rules for transfers among the Shell Group and European Commission approved transfer mechanisms for transfers to third parties in countries which have not been deemed to provide an adequate level of data protection as well as any additional local legal requirements. You can request a copy of these by contacting us at email@example.com.
How long do you hold any personal data for?
Any personal data that is required for the purposes of conclusion and execution of agreements with the grantees will be held for the duration of the contractual relationship and up to 15 years after.
In all other cases for the purposes set out above, including personal data gathered as part of any unsuccessful proposals for grants or which relates the screening against publicly available or government issued sanctions lists and media sources, such personal data is held for no longer than 15 years after it was first gathered.
In all cases information may be held for a) a longer period of time where there is a legal or regulatory reason to do so (in which case it will be deleted once no longer required for the legal or regulatory purpose) or b) a shorter period where the individual objects to the processing of their personal data and there is no longer a legitimate purpose to retain it.
How can I access my personal data?
We aim to keep our information as accurate as possible. Individuals can access their personal data, request correction or deletion of the personal data (but only where it is no longer required for a legitimate business purpose) and request that the processing of their personal data is restricted. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security of your personal information
We have implemented technology and policies with the objective of protecting your privacy from unauthorised access and improper use. In particular, we may use encryption for some of our services, we apply authentication and verification process for access to Shell services and we regularly test, assess and evaluate the effectiveness of our security measures.
Use of your personal information submitted to other web sites
On our website, we may have links to other websites – although such websites have been carefully selected, your personal data collected on those websites will be processed in accordance with the privacy policies and practices of other websites. Please familiarise yourself with these terms.